Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A frontal assault on the grocery termites

I got so wound up yesterday about that expiration-date article in Slate that I forgot to post my Weight Watchers cost-analysis update. And it’s not like I was trying to overlook bad news, either: I dropped another four pounds. That brings my totals to a little less than $60 spent, a little less than 17 pounds lost.

So far, I continue to feel like it’s been worth the expense. Obviously I wish I could just do this on my own -- and I’m getting to the point where I think I could -- but I keep wondering if part of the reason I’m taking this so seriously is because there’s money involved. I always want to make sure I get my money’s worth, ya know? (This isn’t a factor for my mom, and so this whole process has been more of a struggle for her.)

My motivation is probably different than many other people who go to these meetings. Yeah, I want to look and feel better, and I’ve definitely already noticed an energy boost. But the main thing, I think, is that I want to bring my eating habits into alignment with my frugal values. On the one hand, I go to these extreme measures to save money on our grocery bill, but on the other hand my mindless noshing and overgenerous appetite was wasting some of our food supply. It was like having grocery termites -- and they had the gall to set up their command center inside the skull of the family budget nazi.

No comments: