Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Price recognition in the toilet paper aisle

Every few weeks Walgreen’s prices its Big Roll of toilet paper -- 1,000 sheets, just like Scott’s brand -- at 50 cents a roll. When that happens, I stop and buy toilet paper nearly every time I pass a Walgreen’s store.

On my way home from work the other day my route took me past two different Walgreen’s, and on my last stop of the day I happened to notice that just one shelf down from the sale-priced Big Roll, the store was offering four-packs of Scott’s brand toilet paper for $4.19. More than $1 per roll. Twice the cost of what I was paying, plus a little more.

I couldn’t help wondering how many times that week someone reached for the four-pack, oblivious to the fact that they could have bought essentially the same thing for half the cost just by reaching one shelf higher.

I’d like to think it didn’t happen at all, not even once, because if you’re a Scott’s brand loyalist, you’ve already weaned yourself off cushy overpriced toilet paper. (Once you’ve gotten used to 1,000-sheet rolls, it’s hard to go back Everything else just disappears too darn fast.)

But I bet it did.

No comments: