Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Orange-potato experiment update

Yesterday I reported (and photographed) a small damp spot underneath the potato. Today it’s gone. The potato looks as healthy as ever. Which makes me wonder: At one point I wondered if I should use a grapefruit instead of an orange, given that grapefruit seem so much more acidic and therefore possibly more likely to produce potato death rays. So I swapped out the orange for a grapefruit for a few minutes before deciding to proceed with the original experiment. (Some scientist, huh?) Anyway, now I’m wondering, is the grapefruit so powerful that it produced this effect in just those few minutes? Did I imagine the whole thing? What about the photographic evidence? What would Bill Nye the Science Guy say?

At any rate, here’s what I’m going to do: I’m going to leave the orange-potato bowl alone (except for my previous tampering, I mean) and then I’m going to put another potato in a second bowl with a grapefruit.

No comments: