Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Another way to use up carrots

Even after assembling my relish tray the other day (see last post), I still had close to a pound of carrots left in the fridge. Ever since Ben got braces, we just don’t go through carrots as much as we used to. (He liked to eat them raw; the rest of us do that only grudgingly). But I still like buying carrots to have on hand for soups. And they’re so cheap (if you peel them yourself)! I’ve had these so long I can’t remember what I paid for them, but since I had two bags they must have been a really great deal.


Still, eventually, after weeks and months and possibly even years, carrots do start to decompose. So in an effort to use up this last bag, I made a carrot pie yesterday.


It wasn’t bad, though I should‘ve pureed the carrots instead of just mashing them like potatoes if I wanted to pull off the pumpkin pie imitation. If I’d served it warm at the table with whipping cream, it might have been more of a hit. Trouble was, it was late coming out of the oven and everybody was exhausted from playing in/and or shoveling the snow, so some people had already gone to bed when it appeared in the kitchen. (Also, everyone saw me cooking up carrots, so I couldn‘t lie about its origins.)


Even so, everyone eventually agreed to try it, and no one was repulsed. I took that as a positive sign, which means I’ll probably try it again -- perhaps this time on an unsuspecting audience.



At any rate, if you want the recipe I used (but failed to follow exactly), you can find it here:


http://www.preparedpantry.com/carrotpie.html

No comments: