Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Taking the generosity generator* out for a spin

So I withdrew a $10 bill from the branch office of our charity fund (basically, a cash envelop for when I don’t want to fool around with accessing the money we’ve set aside in a bank account) to buy supplies for the kids’ religious education class I was teaching on Sunday. No, it wouldn’t have been that big a deal to just buy this stuff with my own money. But it would’ve thrown off my budgeting for the week, which would’ve made me cranky. Using the charity cash just made me feel better about the whole thing.

But I haven’t done this sort of maneuver often enough to have developed a routine, and as I was standing there in the checkout line, I wondered where I could put my change so that it didn’t get mixed in with my grocery money or my personal spending money. (I’m trying to be a good steward of this charity fund, after all.) Then I noticed that the grocery store was collecting money for Haiti earthquake victims. So I had the clerk ring up a $5 donation, which took up most of the change, and dumped the rest in the collection canister earmarked for the same cause.

A quick, clean transaction. No graft, of even the accidental or careless variety. So far, so good.

*See "The Generosity Generator," posted Nov. 25, 2009. (And I'm going to have my husband show me how to do links today, to make this a bit easier.)

No comments: